BSNL has continued its growth story ever since its formation and
presently it is one of the largest & leading public sector units in India, providing a bouquet
of telecom services: Wireline, GSM mobile, CDMA mobile, Internet, Broadband, Carrier service,
MPLS-VPN, VSAT, VoIP, IN Services, etc. BSNL has customer base of 109.26 million as on 31st
New Services introduced/planned by BSNL
3G Services : BSNL has covered 4519 cities with 3G services across the country and all 2G customer have been enabled for 3G facilities.
Broadband services : The shift in demand from voice to data has revolutionized the very nature of the network. BSNL is poised to cash on this opportunity & has planned for extensive expansion of Broadband services. BSNL has increased minimum download speed to 2 Mbps. BSNL has covered more than 1.73 lakh villages with Broadband services. The Broadband customer base of BSNL has reached to 21.86 Million customers in October, 2016.
Value Added Services : BSNL is focussing on provision of value added services/features to attract high end customers and to double its revenues from VAS
Fibre to Home(FTTH) : To meet demand for high bandwidth services, BSNL has rolled out FTTH services (GPON & GE-PON) in 2010 for the first time in the country. As on 31.10.2016, BSNL has provided over one lakh FTTH connections in the country.
Important Projects under implementation
- Phase VII GSM expansion project of 15 million line is rolled out with further augmentation planned under Phase VII+ project.
- GSM expansion project under name Phase VIII.4 has been initiated for the following:
- Replacement of old equipment having high operational cost & AMC.
- Addition of 3G capacity for increasing 3G footprints.
- Introduction of 4G services.
- Migration of Wireline customers from legacy Network to Next Generation Network(NGN).
- Roll out of Wi-Fi service: BSNL has planned to install 40,000 Hotspots in the coming years.
- Augmentation of Optical Fibre network.
- Executing DoT’s work of building alternate communication infrastructure for Defence(NFS).
- Executing BBNL’s part work/project of high Speed Broadband connectivity to Panchayat(NOFN).
- Installation of Mobile Towers in Left Wing Extremism (LWE) areas.
- Implementation of Comprehensive Transmission-Development Plan for North Eastern Region to cover over 3200 Kms via OFC.