GSM Mobile Network- For improvement the GSM Mobile Network BSNL’s Corporate plan for the year
2020-21 / 2021-22 are as under:-
1. BSNL provides mobile telephone connection on GSM technology.
- BSNL has already covered all the District Headquarters of the country with GSM services. It has covered Tehsil Headquarters, Block HQs besides 67,419 Kms of National Highway 1,20,753 Kms of state Highways and 50,681 kms of Railway routes etc. as on 31.08.2020 .BSNL has already covered 4.49 Lakhs villages by its GSM services.
- Mobile 3G/4G service BSNL has covered 6,254 Cities/Towns with 3G services and 773 cities with 4G services facilities. At present 4G services are being provided on limited scale on existing 3G spectrums due to non –availability of separate 4G spectrum. However, in such scenario, BSNL is not able to provide 3G and 4G services simultaneously at present place.
- BSNL has planned to cover the villages with GSM services in coming years subject to techno commercial viability.
2. Phase VIII.4 GSM project:-
BSNL has started Phase VIII.4 GSM expansion Project across all four zones with the aim of:
- Replacement of old equipment which are having high operational cost and AMC.
- Addition of 3G capacities for increasing 3G footprints.
- Introduction of 4G services along with IMS for VoLTE functionality.
All core equipment has already been commissioned and more than 97% of Radio equipment planned under the project has also been commissioned. As on 30.09.2020, 23,067 number of 2G BTS, 36,777 number of 3G Node-Bs and 8,458 number of 4G e-Node-Bs have been integrated in all four zones.
3. 4G Rollout : Earlier BSNL could not launch 4G services on large scale due to non-availability of separate 4G spectrum. Accordingly, a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for deployment of 1,00,000 nos. 4G Nodes was submitted to DoT along with the request for allotment of additional spectrum for deployment of 4G network.Union Cabinet approved the proposal for revival of BSNL and MTNL including administrative allotment of spectrum for providing 4G services.BSNL has planned to roll out 4G network with following two modes:
- Procurement of 50K 4G sites & associate equipment through Phase-IX tender.
- Up gradation of existing up-gradable 2G/3G nodes to 4G by addition of minimal incremental hardware and software
4. Planned action for next six months of the FY 2020-21: – Completion of pending sites including Redeployment under Ph-VIII.4 project.
5. Planned action for 2021-22:- Finalization of tender and upgradation project for rollout of 1 lakhs 4G e-Node Bs to support 4G services